Monday 10 November 2014

Good northerly breeze up this morning. Hope its the same tomorrow for my onward journey down the coastal rd which I gather has several resorts scattered about.
Been for a walk into town this morning and had some lunch in a canteen next to the fruit and veg market. 70p bought me a generous bowl of rice with beef and veg. Cold water included.
Then a local bottled cold drink  and a SA Granny Smith apple together costing the same again.
Also been on the hunt for some shoes and tried on some strong suade leather part worn ones I have asked to be set aside. At about £7 they seem dear or at least as much as they'd be in the UK. May bite the bullet and get them as cycling with sandals all the time is hard on the feet.
This afternoon, I have been whiling the time away with Kelvin who runs the One Love Cafe. I have been the only customer so he and I have just been chatting and putting the world to right.
There are some lovely little colorful birds fluttering around the trees which frame this lovely view. Been trying to photograph them but its really tricky getting autofocus to work well with a long zoom.
Well, I don't have a particular destination in mind tomorrow, preferring to stop wherever I choose to finish the days ride.  There is a certain advantage to having the mobile home that is my tent,  some of the nicest places I have stayed so far, have been camping often in very small hamlets. So its south I will go and at some point begin heading inland towards Lilongwe.
Kelvin has offered to grill some butter fish which I've not had yet so without much persuasion, it looks like the off will be the day after tomorrow. The bay here is a very good place to be, so tough leaving it behind.
Its night now at 1930hrs , darkness comes quite suddenly, the days similar to the nights in length. There is variation between the seasons here with days being about  2 hours shorter in the winter.
The ferry has been here today heading east and south to the islands and southern parts. NZ Ian has boarded it for pastures new I gather. Decided not to go myself thinking that anywhere along the lake will do just fine. I'm told Loikoma is good to visit. Hopeful next time.
Back at Njaya , poole, quiet music a toasted sandwich and a tall beer. The lake is all a twinkle with fishing lights that are then rudely interrupted by the rising, red at fist, now yellow moon, competing with the fisherman's pricks of light. The moon instead is casting a ghostly, yellow, shimmering glow across the lake. Really cool here and warm at the same time.
Been up early this morning from around 6. Each day there are more ants cruising around in my tent. They're little ones who seem to mind their own business and not bite or bother humans. Well me at least. When I first pitched the tent almost, it must be, a week ago now, they poured some ant deterrent powder around. Better to just let them go about their business I think. Not sure what business but likely involves perspiration or other moisture I guess. Other than nuts, no food and they're not interested in peanuts.
Breeze again from the north this morning. Gary emailed to say that he may take a road avoiding Lilongwe, I had noticed a route inland to the north. He and I are on the same route so hope to catch up with him again in Zambia maybe. That's if I ever leave the lake here. Twill be with reluctance.
My regular breakfast of 3, on the menu 2 toast and coffee.  On my first morning I asked if the bread was cut nice and thick? Turned out already sliced so un that case I said, better have 3. May have set a precedent but suspect applies only to me.
Gonna download this now and tuck in.
S. 11/11/14 0820hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment